Ingredients For The Crust:
- 2 cups white whole wheat or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fruity, very fresh extra virgin olive oil such as Picholine or Hojiblanca
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
Ingredients For the Quiche Filling:
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 packed cups washed, dried and roughly chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 pound of bacon pre-cook weight, that has been diced and browned
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated guyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Combine the flour and the salt in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse to combine.
- Blend the ice water and the extra virgin olive oil together well.
- Pour in to the food processor and pulse a few more times until the mixture comes together.
- On a floured surface roll out the dough and fit in to a 9″ diameter pie or quiche pan.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly wisk together the eggs, reserving and setting aside one tablespoon of beaten egg, the cream and salt.
- Layer the quiche with first with chopped spinach, then the crisp bacon and finally the cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Brush the reserved tablespoon of beaten egg over the crust.
- Bake the quiche in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is browned and the egg is set in the center and doesn’t jiggle.
- Allow to cool slightly or to room temperature and serve.
Re-posted from the Veronica Foods blog.