Ingredients: For the Filling
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ultra Premium olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 8 oz. jumbo lump crab meat (Dungeness, if you can get it), picked through for shells
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 12 medium to large fresh zucchini squash blossoms
Ingredients: For the Batter
- 1 cup seltzer water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- Ultra Premium Olive Oil for frying
- Combine the shallot, onion, olive oil, lemon juice, mascarpone, egg, and salt in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse a few times to finely chop the ingredients and combine.
- Place the filling in a medium size bowl, and with the utmost of care, gently fold in the crab meat being very careful not to break it up too much.
- Adjust the seasoning, cover, and refrigerate the filling for 1/2 hour.
- In a shallow dish or bowl whisk together the seltzer water, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Heat 2 inches of UP EVOO up to 350 F. in a heavy bottom pot or pan.
- To Assemble – Make sure the blossoms are clean of debris.
- Gently remove the flower stamens.
- Using a spoon, gently fill each blossom with approximately 1 heaping tablespoon of chilled crab filling.
- Gently twist the ends of the petals to seal.
- Swirl each filled blossom in the batter rotating it in the same direction that you twisted the petals so as not to undo your blossom.
- Place in the heated oil and fry each blossom for approximately 2 minutes, turning once until light golden brown on all sides.
- Remove the blossoms from the oil to a rack to drain. Serve warm.