This is a lovely way to preserve and enjoy the bounty of the season.
- 1 1/2 cups Malbec or red wine
- 1 1/2 pounds small Asian pears, Bosc pears, persimmons or apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 cup Vanilla Dark Balsamic
- 2″ strip of orange zest
- Peel, stem and quarter the fruit.
- Add all ingredients to a heavy, large pot.
- Simmer on over low heat until the fruit is tender and the wine mixture has reduced by half.
- Serve the fruit and its’ syrup over ice cream, puddings, pancakes, oatmeal, yogurt or enjoy them by themselves.
This makes a great gift to jar and give away. Cheers!
Re-posted from the Veronica Foods blog.