Both the olive oil and basil for this application need to be just crushed and picked, respectively. You can use a mortar and pestle (which is traditional) or your blender!
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
- 1 cup packed fresh baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup Ultra Premium Olive Oil such as Cobrançosa, or Arbequina
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
- In the jar of your blender add the salt, garlic, spinach, and basil followed by the cheese, nuts, and olive oil.
- Process on low until smooth, about 10-15 seconds, stopping the machine to scrape down the sides as necessary.
Makes about 2 cups of pesto.
Re-posted from the Veronica foods blog.