Warm, rich, light as a feather, and redolent with the sweet, floral aroma of Ultra Premium, ultra fresh, FS-17 extra virgin olive oil. The aroma of this bread baking is sheer luxury and the lack of butter will hardly be missed.
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon FS-17 Extra Virgin Olive Oil (you can substitute with Favolosa or Picual in a pinch).
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, stir yeast into water to soften for five minutes.
- Add three eggs, sugar, oil and salt and beat lightly.
- Add flour in small increments, continuing to mix, until you have a smooth, moist, elastic dough.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for five more minutes.
- Put the dough into a large bowl oiled with FS-17, turning once to coat the entire ball of dough with oil.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, for about an hour.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly oiled work surface.
- Divide into thirds.
- Shape each third into a rope about 20 inches long.
- Lay the ropes side by side on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Braid the ropes, tucking both ends under the loaf.
- Cover and let rise in a warm area for 45 minutes.
- Beat the reserved egg with a tablespoon of cold water to make an egg glaze.
- Brush the glaze lightly over the braid.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 40-45 minutes, checking with an instant read thermometer for an internal temperature of 190°F.
Re-posted from the Veronica Foods blog.