This cake has a lovely, bright lemon aroma and moist crumb exclusively owed to the addition of lemon fused olive oil, a gentle tang from yogurt, and a pleasing delicate crunch and extra complexity from a little cornmeal.
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal (regular cornmeal will work here too)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup lemon fused olive oil
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9″x9″ baking pan with lemon olive oil.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, and lemon olive oil. Whisk until pale and well combined.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together and add to the wet ingredients.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes in the center of the oven until golden brown, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan, and invert on to a rack and cool fully before serving.
Re-posted from the Veronica Foods blog