The sweet earthiness of the golden beets, along with the salty blue cheese, nutty arugula, tangy tangerines, and pungent, fresh Ultra Premium Extra Virgin olive oil make this salad a virtual party in your mouth. Beyond that, the impeccably fresh seasonal ingredients are visually arresting, and resemble a ray of golden sunshine on the plate.
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 3 medium sized golden beets
- 2 medium Satsuma Tangerines, 1 peeled and divided in to segments, the other juiced
- 1 Tablespoon Cara Cara Orange Vanilla White Balsamic
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon Peppery Ultra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil (a robust Picual should do it)
- 1/3 cup good quality, crumbled blue cheese
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Tarragon Croutons (see recipe below) – or store bought croutons
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Scrub the beets removing any debris, roots and green parts.
- Place the beets on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to fully enclose the beets in to a package.
- Drizzle the beets with a tablespoon of olive oil, a sprinkle of sea salt, and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Seal the package by crimping the foil and roast the beets for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a knife.
- Allow to cool and then peel.
- Cut the beets in to six wedges and set aside.
- Just before serving, whisk the tangerine juice with the Cara-Cara Orange Vanilla White Balsamic and a pinch of salt.
- Slowly drizzle in the remaining olive oil while whisking constantly to make a vinaigrette.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the arugula with 1/2 of the vinaigrette and then arrange on a plate or platter.
- Arrange the tangerine segments, golden beet wedges, and blue cheese over the arugula.
- Drizzle the rest of the dressing over the top, then add the croutons, and finish with fresh ground pepper if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4 generous salad portions
- 2 cups of fresh or day old sourdough bread cut in to 1/2″ cubes
- 1/4 cup Organic Tarragon Olive Oil (or you can use any infused olive oil you desire)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- On a baking sheet large enough to hold the bread cubes in a single layer, toss the bread cubes with the infused olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the bread cubes are golden brown.
- Cool and store in a zip lock bag or air tight container.
Makes 2 cups
Re-posted from the Veronica Foods blog.