Trifle has a lot of delicious components! We’ve got instructions for each part of the puzzle below, and directions on how to build the trifle once everything is ready!
Ingredients: For the Pound Cake (Makes 2 cakes)
- 1 pound (3 1/4 cups) + 2 tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 sticks softened unsalted butter, plus more for pans
- 1/2 cup Lemon Fused Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 9 large, room-temperature eggs
- 2 tablespoons sanding sugar
Directions: For the Pound Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter two 5-by-9-inch loaf pans.
- Combine 3 1/4 cups flour and salt in a bowl.
- Cream butter, sour cream, and sugar with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, for 8 minutes.
- Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Reduce speed to medium, and add vanilla extract.
- Lightly beat eggs with the lemon extra virgin olive oil, and add to mixer bowl in 4 additions, mixing thoroughly after each and scraping down sides.
- Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in 4 additions, mixing until just incorporated.
- Divide batter between pans.
- Tap on counter to distribute; smooth tops.
- Before baking, sprinkle sanding sugar over each cake.
- Bake until a tester inserted into center of each cake comes out clean, about 65 minutes.
- Let cool in pans for 30 minutes.
- Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire rack.
Ingredients: For the Lemon Curd
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 whole large eggs plus 2 large yolks
- 4 Tbs. of ‘Butter’ Infused Olive Oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
Directions: For the Lemon Curd
- Whisk together lemon zest, juice, sugar, cornstarch, eggs, and yolks in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Boil, for 2 minutes while whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter infused olive oil until smooth.
Ingredients: For the Chantilly Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons good quality vanilla extract
Directions: For the Chantilly Cream
- In the bowl of a mixer, whip cold cream to light peaks.
- Add sugar and vanilla and mix until well incorporated.
Ingredients: For the Fresh Berries
- 2 pints of fresh berries such as strawberries (halved), black berries, raspberries and or blueberries
- 1/2 cup Peach White Balsamic Vinegar
Directions: For the Fresh Berries
- Macerate (soak) the fresh berries in the peach white balsamic for 15 minutes before assembling the trifle.
To Assemble The Trifle
- Cut one pound cake loaf in to one inch cubes.
- Add 1/3 of the pound cake cubes to the bottom of your trifle dish.
- Use a pastry brush to dab Peach White Balsamic on to the pound cake.
- Next, layer with 1/2 cup of lemon curd.
- Arrange 1/3 of the berries decoratively along the perimeter of the trifle dish, covering the layer of lemon curd.
- Add 1/2 cup of the chilled Chantilly cream over the berries.
- Repeat these layers two more times ending with a layer of Chantilly cream on top.
- Allow the trifle to rest, covered and chilled, for three hours before serving
- Garnish with fresh berries and a mint sprig.
Serves 10 -12 generously