- 1 1/2 pounds small whole sweet tomatoes such as cherry or grape
- 1 large red onion, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper or several smaller sweet red peppers such as Marconi, sliced thin or halved if smaller
- 8 large garlic cloves
- 1 – 2″ sprig fresh rosemary, leaves only, stem discarded (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh, herbaceous, green ultra premium olive oil – Leccino or Frantoio are good choices!
- 1/3 cup crisp, good quality white wine
- 1 tablespoon Traditional Balsamic Condimento
- 2 teaspoons sea salt or kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Adjust rack to middle of oven, and preheat to 300.
- In a medium roasting pan (9″x13″) or a 12″ oven safe skillet, combine the first five ingredients.
- Whisk the wine, balsamic, and olive oil together, drizzle over the vegetables and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the pan on the middle rack in the oven, uncovered, and allow the vegetables to cook slowly, stirring only a few times during the process, being careful not to break the tomatoes.
- Slow roast for 4 – 4 1/2 hours.
- The resulting confit, or tomato “jam” can be used to dress pasta, slather on crusty bread, or as an accompaniment to slow roasted meats or poultry.
Re-posted from the Veronica Foods blog.