- 2 – 28 oz. cans tomato puree
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 large red bell peppers, roasted, seeded, peeled and chopped, or one jar of roasted red
- peppers, drained & chopped
- 3 tablespoons Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves washed, dried, & torn, reserving 6 small sprigs for garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup grated Romano Cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a medium (5+ quart) heavy stock pot, heat one tablespoon of Tuscan Herb Olive Oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the white wine and reduce by half.
- Add the chicken stock, roasted peppers, tomato puree, basil leaves and oregano to the pot.
- Lower the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the hot soup until smooth and creamy in consistency.
- Add the heavy cream and Romano Cheese and stir to combine.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve individual bowls of soup drizzled with approximately one teaspoon of Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and a sprig of basil. Serve immediately.
Re-posted from the Veronica Foods blog.