- 6 Cups baby arugula washed, spun dry
- 2 cups of sliced heirloom tomatoes
- 1/3 cup freshly torn basil leaves
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound mozzarella fresca thinly sliced or bocconcini sliced in half
- 1/2 cup Ultra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Champagne Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apricot white balsamic – or your white balsamic of choice
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the Champagne and white balsamic in a small bowl and place the red onions in the bowl to quickly “pickle” for 5 minutes or up to 10 minutes.
- The vinegar will turn a light shade of pink.
- Remove the onions and reserve.
- Whisk the mustard and salt into the vinegar.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking briskly and constantly to create a semi-emulsion.
- Just before serving dress the baby arugula with just a few drizzles of the vinaigrette.
- Arrange the dressed arugula in layer in a shallow, wide bowl or platter.
- Add the pickled onions, sliced tomatoes, cheese and torn basil leaves over the top.
- Add a few more drizzles of the viniagrette and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread to mop up any dressing left on the platter/bowls.
Re-posted from the Veronica Foods blog.