Ingredients – For The Fish:
- 4 large rock cod (or any mild fish) fillets, approximately 1.5 lbs, (1/2-inch thick)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- finely ground sea salt
- 1/3 cup UP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 larges eggs whisked
- 1 cup unbleached flour
Ingredients – For The Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons Baklouti Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Olive Wood Smoked Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup sliced Gordal Olives stuffed with Red Chili
- 1/4 cup capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Start the sauce by heating Baklouti Olive Oil and Smoked Olive Oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring regularly, until the onions start to brown, about 5 minutes then add the garlic and stir for a bit longer.
- Add the diced tomatoes along with the bay leaf, oregano, parsley, half of the olives, and half of the capers.
- Simmer briskly, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes to evaporate some of the liquid.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, stir in 1/2 cup of water and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- While the sauce is simmering, dredge the fish fillets first in flour, then in the egg, and then back in the flour.
- Heat 1/3 cup of UP extra virgin olive oil in a very large (12-inch) non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the skillet is hot, pan fry the fish for approximately 3-4 minutes per side, or until nicely golden brown and a bit crisp on the exterior.
- To finish the dish, ladle the finished sauce onto individual dinner plates, place a piece of cod in the center, garnish with the remaining olives, capers, parsley, and green onions. Serve immediately.